Saturday, August 29, 2009

Who are your Googlegangers?

When you Google your name, what comes up? Don't tell me you don't. Everyone does it; it's healthy. At least that is what I hear. Anyway, a few years ago, when I would Google my name i found other Dustin Dibbles. There is one that was a HS basketball star in Michigan, and now plays for UMKC. And from what I read, is pretty darn good. There is another one in Kansas (who is about my age) and another younger one that races motocross. About half of the first 10 hits were me. I felt pretty good about myself! Out of all the dustin dibbles, I was making something of myself!

And then came April 23, 2006. On that fateful night, one Dustin Dibble of New York City (heretofore unknown to the googleverse) got blitzed with his friends at the bar while watching hockey. After, he stumbled down to the subway (his BAC being more than twice the legal limit), and somehow fell onto the track. He was then struck by the train, and ended up having his leg amputated. So what did he do? The only American thing - He sued! And he won-- $2.3 million from the NYC transit system! As you can imagine, the internet was alive with angry taxpayers and tort reform activists, many of whom disparaged his funny name, as well as his dumb actions. Such was the vitriol directed at dustin, that on urban dictionary, a dibble is "A person that does stupid things without taking responsibility and blames those who have to pay for their consequences."

Now, when you Google "Dustin Dibble" the vast majority are news articles, legal blogs, and angry posts about that Dustin Dibble. So much for me making a name for myself in the Googleverse.
So on behalf of Dustin Dibbles everywhere, thanks a lot Dustin. Thanks a lot.

1 comment:

DaveG said...

Yea...a my name...I think this guy is worse http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gilbert

first item that pops up on Google