Friday, February 26, 2010

Silence is golden


I am a sucker for the Olympics. The human drama is just spell-binding. I have been watching when I can during these Olympics, here and there. While I generally think the coverage has been good, it can get annoying the way the commentators try to dumb it down for the lowest-common denominator. I think anyone who produces live sports on TV needs to read this great article about the use of silence in sports. As my old broadcast professor used to say. "Nats is king. (natural sound) You can say so much more if you just shut up and let the sound tell the story." The author is so on the money. If you don't believe him, go to the Olympics web site and watch Lindsey Vonn's or Shaun White's gold medal run--with no commentary, just nats. Great Stuff. Here is the article:

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/25/entertainment/la-et-olympic-internet25-2010feb25

No comments: