Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I don't care what you think, as long as it's about me...



I have a confession to make. It's one of my guiltiest pleasures. I like teenage girl music. That's right. I don't deny it. I like poppy punk rock. Now I know my musical tastes should have evolved past high school, But for some reason, their growth has been retarded. For example, right now I am totally digging the new album from Fall Out Boy. Very good stuff. Take for example, the track "Headfirst Slide Into Cooperstown..." (it's on my playlist)-- it's part dance groove, part piano ballad, part driving rock, and with a horn section to boot! Combine that with Patrick Stump's soaring vocals, and you have one heck of a song!

Anyway, I always react with trepidation when people talk music, because I can't really talk about Vampire Weekend or The Arcade Fire or another "grownup" band that someone my age should like. Yes, these bands are good, and I do enjoy them on an ambient level. But for serious rocking out or singing along in the car, Give me my Anberlin or Jack's Mannequin any day.

4 comments:

Dave M. Davis said...

That's the Dusto I remember!

Anonymous said...

Great post.

Stay true to the faith man. Although I've become a musical nomad, I secretly keep a hideout in the 'teenage girl music' camp.

Lisa said...

Hahaha. It's good to know that no matter how crazy the world gets, some things never change.

Dave and Christine said...

Dustin I love this blog. Anyone who claims they don't have secret cheesy music is lying. I respect the honesty!