Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Reading Now: 1776 by David McCullough









I thought I'd comment on what I am reading now. I finally got a chance to read 1776 by David McCullough. I don't read a lot of non-fiction, but I thought I'd give this a try. I'm about halfway through, and I am really liking it. When you are young and in school, learning about the revolutionary war (or any history for that matter) can seem so static. "They won this battle, and then the troops went here, and then the British sailed there, and, oh yeah: "No taxation without representation!" And then it's time to close the books and study math. When you are young you don't realize that these are actual people and things are immensely more complicated. It's so interesting to read about the petty maneuvering, the prejudices, or the way Washington actually felt at certain times. Some of the lesser known moments are fascinating--like the story of Henry Knox dragging 59 cannons (weighing 60 tons) on ox-drawn sleds from Fort Ticonderoga to the siege at Boston. Anyway, If you like American History check it out.

No comments: